Sunday 9 June 2013

BADI NAANI...

In my older post, 'ROOTS' , I laid down my views on the importance of knowing our older generations. As I enjoy my summer vacation at my maternal grandparents' place in Kota , I come to appreciate them all the more....
                             Almost all of us have relished the tempting 'nani ke haath ki Mithaai'  but I feel glad to be among the few fortunate ones who get to enjoy the sweets made by great grandmothers...

In this pricking heat of May-June, nothing can compete a bowl of delicious ice-cream. The sweet blend of cashews, almonds and milk prepared by my ' Badi nani' ( great grandmother ) is the tastiest ice cream I've ever had. As it melts drop by drop, the touch of affection and tradition makes it all the more tastier..


It's not only about the sweet. It is about the love behind it. It is about the magic of belongingness that spreads as the family comes together to talk and laugh together. Even sweeter than the dessert is Badi nani's smile. It is so very interesting to sit and talk with her. She narrates her experiences in a way as if I were really there to witness them. Her words also have the power to captivate me with the stories of her times.

Even at this age, she possesses great intelligence and a sharp memory. She also has a lot of interest in the news and things going on around. Be it philosophy, history, literature or politics, she can speak on just anything. No wonder one gets 'wiser' as one gets 'older'......

At present, all of us, that is, I, my mother , my grandmother and grandfather, and my 'great' grandmother are living together under one roof. We all maybe very different when it comes to lifestyle and habits but these differences are too small to keep us from being connected through the supreme bond of love and blood......

No comments:

Post a Comment